海归网首页   海归宣言   导航   博客   广告位价格  
海归论坛首页 会员列表 
收 藏 夹 
论坛帮助 
登录 | 登录并检查站内短信 | 个人设置 论坛首页 |  排行榜  |  在线私聊 |  专题 | 版规 | 搜索  | RSS  | 注册 | 活动日历
主题: China's African aid questioned(伦敦音,非常头疼)
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归酒吧           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙
  阅读上一个主题 :: 阅读下一个主题
作者 China's African aid questioned(伦敦音,非常头疼)   
所跟贴 哈哈,Jon Snow!花了我2个小时才写完,累死了 -- 错误 - (7590 Byte) 2007-6-06 周三, 22:59 (235 reads)
司徒培德

头衔: 海归少校

头衔: 海归少校
声望: 学员

加入时间: 2005/12/02
文章: 207

海归分: 27430

文章标题: 那个什么indetrily还是什么的词他用了两遍,俺也听不出来 (238 reads)      时间: 2007-6-07 周四, 12:43   

作者:司徒培德海归酒吧 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

俺借光又对了一遍:

Britain is concerned that China's drive to offer unconditional aid and cheap loans to African countries is undermining advances in dea**ly fund efforts to create more democratic administrations in the region.

The warning from International Development secretary Hilary Benn comes as the Chinese president travels across the continent - what is widely seen as an attempt to use economic muscle to secure relationships with key partners on the continent. Our economic correspondent Fayes Islam reports

The Chinese president 12-day tour takes in 8 nations including Sudan, the most controversial of the host countries where China's unconditional aid policy has angered western governments. Many of whom say Beijing should use its economic weight to end hostilities in Darfur.

Hu has already pledged 2.6 billion pounds of soft loans and grants, as well as hundreds of millions in aid, to countries like Zambia.

China’s also negotiating a billion pound loan to prop up the ailing economy of Robert Mugabe’s Zimbabwe next door. South African leader Thabo Mbeki had warned that Africa is slipping to some kind of colonial relationship with China.

The yesterday president Hu was keen to stress China shared experience of western colonialism. Western anti-corruption campaign is, however, in China’s law**gest could be disastrous.

Well there’s no doubt that Chinese companies represent some kind of threat in various parts of the world including Africa. TI issues from time to time a bribe payers index. As a matter of fact, China has the worst record in that index as a propensity to pay bribes.

Britain, meanwhile, has launched an evangelical campaign against bribery using Foreign Office funded videos like this. It’s a key part of Britain’s strategy to help developing world. But Britain itself has been under fire in Africa over corruption probes.

Mr. Mbeki last month attacks Britain for hypocrisy in stopping an investigation into an alleged bribery by BAE systems in Saudi Arabia, while continuing a similar probe in South Africa. The international policeman on bribery, the OECD, has also expressed serious concerns that Britain's citing the national security to hold investigation, said the president, that will render its international convention against bribery useless.

Fayes Islam, before we came on air, I talked to the International Development secretary Hilary Benn and asked him, whether the Chinese in Africa represented a new colonialism.

No I don’t see it in that way. I think we should warmly welcome China’s relationship with Africa as a trader, because trade between China and Africa is probably going to increase 10-fold in the first decade of this century. As an investor, China’s investing a lot of money in infrastructure, in roads, and also as a provider of development support to African countries. Actually giving them more choice about where they get their help from. And after all, investment and trade, and buying goods and buying up mineral rights and so on is in the interest of Africa’s economy development

Yeah. But at the same time the aid in the form particularly of loans, soft loans and the rest, surely is running counter to the ****efforts that the west is currently(?) engaged in

Well I think it’s an issue to be concerned about. I think we need to weigh up on the score card the advantages of China’s involvement and they are very considerable. But the thing’s we need to watch, and China should have an interest in this, in that the world having worked very hard to help relieve the debt burden of some of the poorest countries of the world. You don’t want them to get back into unsustainable levels of debt because of loans that they’ve taken on.

The second element of the concerns with the Chinese that is their attitude to bribery is rather different from what many others doing businesses in Africa see

Well I think whoever is doing business with other countries including in Africa should be setting high standards. One thing I’d like to see China do is to come in and support the stractive**** industry’s transparency initiative. Because a lot of contracts they’re signing in Africa are for minerals and oil. And EITI which Britain launched about 3 years ago, very simple principle, the companies that are getting these concessions will publish what they pay to the government so that the government will publish what they receive from the companies. And if China can come in and support that I think it would send a very powerful signal about upholding good standards in the fight against corruption.

While are you not worried that in talking to the Chinese we are ourselves now very weakened by the very fact that we abandoned the investigation into bribery allegation concerning Saudi Arabia for example. And we’re still having to investigate them in other parts of Africa.

The fact the investigations that are taking place in respect to other allegation shows, on the contrary, John, just how seriously we take our responsibility to fight corruption. There’re very specific reasons of national security in the Saudi Arabia case.

You’re never consulted about what the impact might be on your work. You’re the lead minister on anti-bribery. The attorney general doesn’t come knock on your door and say Hilary Benn, what impact is gonna have on your work. It’s devastating. I was in the African union summit the other day there were Presidents laughing up their sleeves about the Saudi deal.

No, the attorney general didn’t consult me. And it would be quite improper, Jon, had he done so. Because this was an operational decision taken by the director of the Serious Fraud Office having had representations made to him by the ministers who are concerned about the national security. And that doesn’t include me. And it would be wrong for me to be involved. But we have signed the UN Convention we’ve got more capacity now in the metropolitan police, the city of London police to investigate. And in two cases involving Africa, former state governors from Nigeria. In one case the money brought into this country in a suitcase has been returned. And in another, thanks to the legislation that we as a government passed, and a swift action that metropolitan police who seized the assets the court ruled just before Christmas, that a house can be sold and money can be given back to the people of Nigeria from whom it was stolen. That is kind of action.

But we actually have never had a successful prosecution of anybody for bribery.

Today, that is correct. We passed the legislation in 2001 and as you said yourself a moment ago, there’re numbers of investigations ongoing. And we should let those continue. And if the evidence is found and those who take decisions about prosecution think that is the case to be mounted, then they will come to the courts. But we’ve now got more capacity to investigate that we had in the past. We got legislation on the statute book, and we never have that in the past either. We’re very serious about fighting corruptions.

Let me bring it full circle then and simply ask you do you think that when you make the calls you’ve made as you have today to the Chinese, they have any reason to listen?

I’m sure China will come to see that it has exactly the same interest as the rest of the world has. In assuring that there is stability, the fight against corruption, sustainable levels of debt in Africa. Above all it’s the interest of the people of Africa that all of those things should come to pass.

作者:司徒培德海归酒吧 发贴, 来自【海归网】 http://www.haiguinet.com

相关主题
搞笑~敢学我吗(伦敦地铁上?)ZT 海归酒吧 2005-12-16 周五, 19:06
[老中原创贴图(生活照,未经授权)] WHY乐总昨晚发那篇帖子? 因为他感... 海归酒吧 2011-3-12 周六, 11:59
[老中原创贴图(生活照,已经授权)] 重庆三医大护士征婚 海归酒吧 2011-2-05 周六, 02:19
[老中原创贴图(生活照,未经授权)] 重庆晨报:小海归最钟情外资银行 (最... 海归酒吧 2011-1-20 周四, 02:43
猎头职位:国内知名ERP厂商 高薪诚聘 高级需求分析师(base:成都,年... 海归职场 2010-9-05 周日, 19:45
猎头职位:国内知名ERP厂商 高薪诚聘 架构师/设计师(base:成都,年... 海归职场 2010-9-05 周日, 19:44
新闻报道:【精彩照片】2009华侨华人专业人士天津创业发展洽谈会(第二集,... 海归主坛 2009-9-24 周四, 06:37
[原创]单反 vs. MM (比较黄,处级勿入) 海归酒吧 2009-7-07 周二, 13:48

返回顶端
阅读会员资料 司徒培德离线  发送站内短信
显示文章:     
回复主题   printer-friendly view    海归论坛首页 -> 海归酒吧           焦点讨论 | 精华区 | 嘉宾沙龙 | 白领丽人沙龙 所有的时间均为 北京时间

论坛转跳:   
不能在本论坛发表新主题, 不能回复主题, 不能编辑自己的文章, 不能删除自己的文章, 不能发表投票, 您 不可以 发表活动帖子在本论坛, 不能添加附件可以下载文件, 
   热门标签 更多...
   论坛精华荟萃 更多...
   博客热门文章 更多...

海归网二次开发,based on phpbb
Copyright © 2005-2024 Haiguinet.com. All rights reserved.